November 28, 2009

Plan for literary self-improvement

Read the following in English (at least one book by):

Faulkner
Joyce
Tolstoy
Dostoyevski
Wilde
Woolf
Ibsen

Read the following in French (at least one book by):

de Beauvoir
Hugo (bonus for Les Miserables)
Flaubert
Balzac
Dumas
Proust (Du Cote de Chez Swann; only, finish it this time)


This sort of thing makes me feel like Austen's Emma, constantly starting plans for improvement but never following through.  I should have all next summer to read, though...maybe I can make a dent in my (lofty) list.

1 comment:

PJ said...

"Literary Self-Improvement" is going to be 70% of what I'll be spending my time on next semester. Books on my tremendous list with those authors are Sanctuary (Faulkner), Portrait of an Artist (Joyce), Dubliners (Joyce), Notes from the Underground (Dostoyevsky), Complete Works of Oscar Wilde, and a re-read of Madame Bovary (in English). We should coordinate to read a book around the same time and then discuss.