February 24, 2010

Longest day ever

8:55 a.m.  Roll sideways until my feet hit the floor.  Switch on the kettle as I pad to the bathroom.  Make oatmeal, let it soak while I wash my face and brush my teeth.  Have breakfast while I try to remember all the things I need to take with me today.

9:40 a.m.  Leave for class.

9:55 a.m.  Get to class.  Proceed with exam ritual: pencils, water bottle, turn off phone, put away everything, take deep breaths.

11:15 a.m. Finish exam.  Grab soup and an apple and find a computer in the printing lab.  Type madly on lab report.

12:30 p.m.  Switch to thesis writing.  Lose focus.  Get distracted with Google Reader and people I know in the printing center.  Make "to-do" lists in Tasks.

2:30 p.m.  Decide that the printing lab is too noisy.  Grab a bagel and water and change scenery to the library, first floor computers.  Open thesis.  Watch people balancing on a giant rubber band stretched between two trees.

3:45 p.m.  Mentally smack myself and type furiously about Louise Boursier and French midwives in the 16th century.

4:30 p.m.  Print meager few pages of thesis.  Go see Mme W.

6:05 p.m.  Return to library.  Different computer.  Type with panicked speed on lab report.  Almost done.  Almost done.  Keep typing.  Adjust figures.  Silently curse at Word formatting that makes the pictures go all wonky with their alignment even though it normally works just fine.

7:45 p.m.  Submit lab report.  Power walk to the DUC formal lounge.  Change clothes hurriedly in the bathroom.  Realize that I forgot the oath for the AED induction ceremony.  Fly by the seat of my pants and whip out my debate extemporaneous speaking skills to make up a welcoming speech.  Read my part with what I hope is a purposeful, solemn tone.

9:00 p.m.  Head back to the garage to get in my car.  Pick up people from the clocktower.  Pick up someone else at Brookings.  Drop off Carly at her apartment.  Go the music building.

9:35 p.m.  Start rehearsal.  Be really tired.  Wear my dress shoes, my dress from induction, and my sweatpants.  Feel slaphappy.  Find rest in "Samson."  Reenergize in "Cecilia."

12:20 a.m.  Get back to the dorm.  Talk to residents.  Feel a rush of benevolence toward all mankind.  Feel my steps getting slower and my legs aching from 2 1/2 hours of choreography work.

12:35 a.m.  Shower.  Let the scalding water steam me clean.  Finish with a shot of cold, freezing my face and gulping it in, like stepping into a drinking fountain.

12:50 a.m. Write blog entry.  Gear up to work for a few hours more on my fiction story.

No comments: