February 26, 2010

Loose vs. Lose

I'm not sure why, but I've been seeing this error a lot recently in blog posts and even news articles.  Something about it sets my teeth on edge.  I think because the meanings are so completely different, it seems difficult to confuse them.  Also, I don't say these two words the same way: loose has a definite "s" consonant and lose has more of a "z" consonant.

I think I also have a sneaking suspicion that the more I see this error, the more likely it is to just become an accepted spelling of lose (much the way judgement became judgment).  Somehow this annoys me--I don't think language should remain static but I see no reason for language to change to fit the mental laziness of its users.

1 comment:

pyjeon said...

Its nothing to cry over. Whose really judging? Certainly not myself. Their is not much you can do because of languages fluidity. Less people each day are using English according to SWE rules. I only see it as the proper coarse of thing's.