June 4, 2010

Green Smoothie

My mom got a super-fancy blender like chefs use that's really a high-powered turbo food processor in the body of a blender.  As a result, I've been drinking tons of smoothies and making lots of purees.  I've been making green smoothies as a way to get more veggies (yay, spinach!), and usually they're delicious and you don't even taste the spinach if you make a mixed-berry smoothie with a splash of OJ or a little yogurt.

Today, however, I made the first green smoothie which I have not enjoyed.  Beware, ye of many vegetables!  The way to a terrible-tasting green smoothie is:

1/3 c. very ripe cantaloupe
juice of 1/2 a lime
4-5 chunks of pineapple with 1-2 T juice
a large handful of spinach, washed
a large handful of ice
3 large spoonfuls of yogurt

I think it was the cantaloupe, or maybe the cantaloupe + yogurt combination.  Or maybe it was slightly too much yogurt overall.  The smoothie wasn't inedible (I drank it) but it made me think slightly of spinach dip, or creamed spinach.  Not a good smoothie flavor...

2 comments:

pyjeon said...

I love green smoothies! I think a pretty reliable cure to most bad smoothies is juice, particularly OJ. It liquidates the materials for a smoother consistency and makes everything sweeter and fruitier.

lclatteman said...

I think you're right. In this one, it was just the cantaloupe that made everything go south.