June 12, 2010

New

This has been a pretty new summer.  New car, new school, new apartment, new places, new experiences, new responsibilities.  They merited a new blog design, and since Blogger lets you design your own template now, I thought I'd tweak one of the ones they had available for this nice, summery one!

I'm still getting used to my new car.  My van was old, not really past its prime per se but definitely on the decline.  I think it would qualify as a senior citizen.  If every human year is supposedly seven dog years, how many car years is it?  Maybe four or five?  Let's see...the minivan was eighteen...that's aged seventy-two to ninety, somewhere in there.  Definitely qualifying for Medicare and the Senior discount at twenty-four hour breakfast chain restaurants.  My car is "Barcelona Red Metallic" and my toenail polish matches (I'll admit it, I did it on purpose.  It's a nice color).  It has a sun roof and air conditioning, dark gray leather interior, and it gets fifty miles to the gallon.  Wait, what?  I own a car that gets fifty miles to the gallon?  I can't believe it either.  That's probably a full three times better than the van.

Something about all these new things feels really good.  I have this sense that I can start over, do whatever I want, reinvent myself if I want to, decide again how I will be perceived, reform myself and in general, improve.  It's a little scary, but it's an exciting kind of scary.  Like when you watch a really good scary movie and you're ready to freak out, and you drive home with the dome lights on in your car, but then for weeks afterward you remember how awesome the movie was.

At the same time, though, I was just reminded of how good old things can be, too.  In the past twenty-four hours I've finally seen and hung out with two of my best friends from high school: it's odd how we just pick up like before, as if we haven't parted ways or as if it hasn't been months since we saw each other last.  Seeing them makes me feel settled in my own skin, the way you feel when you wake up and it's just cool enough in the room for the warm cocoon of blankets to feel delicious wrapped around you, and you snuggle in and luxuriate in being wrapped up in a perfect, you-sized wallow in the bed.

No comments: