June 27, 2013

Anthem for the Feminist Army

I never thought I'd say this--but I was almost jealous of Texas a couple nights ago.  Watching Senator Wendy Davis kick ass during her filibuster, and watching her fellow senators help her run out the clock on a terrible omnibus abortion bill, I almost wished I could have been there watching it in person.  The people spoke and the day was won!

Unfortunately, Gov. Rick Perry announced the next day that he was ordering a second special session of the legislature to start on July 1st.  He said this is because Texas is "pro-life."  Did I mention that they're executing their 500th prisoner that day, too?  And did I mention she's a woman?

I was so buoyed up by watching the internet explode with support for Sen. Davis and her colleagues, and there were so many amazing moments, that when someone posted "I really want to sing 'Do you hear the people sing' from Les Mis right now!" I was inspired.  So I offer up the following as an anthem of sorts, a rallying cry for those who believe that women are people, too.

To the tune of Les Miserables' "Do you hear the people sing?":

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the songs of mad women
It is the music of the women
who will not just breed for men

When the beating fetal heart
supersedes all the rights of mom
There is a fight about to start
when tomorrow comes!

Will you join in the crusade?
Oh will you stand and fight with me?
Behind the chamber doors
are men denying liberty
To women who should not have sex--
they should only behave!

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the songs of mad women
It is the music of the women
who will not just breed for men

When the ultrasound's required
and the wait is far too long
It will be women who pay the price
when tomorrow comes...

No comments: